Every Friday from 12pm noon until 3:00pm Elements of Community distributes free tablets for qualified families at the House of Umoja in conjunction with Umoja's free food distribution. The Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) program provides a discount each month towards broadband service for eligible households. The benefit eligibility only applies to one member of the household. Once approved, the individual is provided a new Mobile Tablet with free monthly WIFI allowance. That household member must meet at least one of the criteria:
- Income that is at or below 15% of the federal poverty guidelines or participates in certain assistant programs, such as SNAP, Food Stamp or Food Assistance, Medicaid (not Medicare), or the FCC's lifeline program.
- Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA community eligibility provision, in the 2020 to 2021 or 2021 to 2022 school year.
- Received a federal Pell Grant during the current award year.
- Eligible for Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Experience the substantial loss of income through job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020 and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,004 single filers and $198,000 for joint filers.
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating providers’ existing low-income or COVID-19 program.